Inspirational travel movies !

I am pretty straightforward in saying that I am blessed with travel genes. The very mention of a trip, even if it’s to the Scottish cemetery nearby, excites me beyond measure. I never had to work hard to achieve this. I have been travelling since I was only 3 months old. Not that I understood anything back then but I guess it got me used to seeing strange new places which didn’t look or felt anything like the comfort of ‘home sweet home’.

If your life is an empty box, and you want to fill it up with memories then ‘Travel you must’. I am going to list my top 5 favourite travel movies which *might* have teeny tiny bit altered my genetic code into that of a traveller (nah !)

1. WAJDJA – This movie is about a Saudi rebel kid Wajdja who doesn’t give up fighting for her dream bicycle. In Saudi Arabia, females are not encouraged to ride bicycles but still she raises fund by all means until she participates in a Koran recital competition which bagged her 1000 riads. What happened next ? You must watch it to find out. Like most other kids of my age, when I think of Saudi Arabia, I imagine it as one among the many middle eastern countries rich with oil wells, the men wearing white thobes and women in black abayas. But this movie changed it all. I learnt alot about Muslim culture and Islam. I do dream of visiting this land someday and knowing them more.
  2. MIO IN THE LAND OF FARAWAY – Mio in the land of Faraway is the story of a young boy who lives in misery with his arrogant uncle and aunt until one day he vanishes  into the magical land of Faraway. On reaching there he realises that his real father was a king and he was none other than the prince Mio. Along with his friend he sets out on a quest to destroy an evil knight who had enslaved kids. Does this storyline sound a little similar to you (No, not to a Potter head like me *winks*)?                                                                                                                                        His interesting journey to the Green Meadow island is an unforgettable one. Though I have nothing to destroy when out on a trip, I like to imagine myself as Mio sometimes. I have a scrambled brain and I can be really nosey and inquisitive, thanks to Mio.
  3. IMBA MEANS SING – Story of three Ugandans who embark on a world tour with African Children’s choir. ‘Imba means Sing’ is a must watch movie for all ages. It gives an insight into the lives, hopes, dreams and challenges of the children from slums in Africa. Realizing it as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity they travel the world with the Grammy nominated choir.
  4. LIVING ON ONE DOLLAR – Honestly am that kind of a person who judges a book by its cover and a movie by its name. When I heard of Living on one dollar I was like “Dad ! Are you coming up with ways to not buy me an ice-cream everyday because comeon an ice- cream costs more than a dollar ?” But I was so wrong as this one is a gem of a movie for people who love to travel. Its nothing about luxury though. It’s about four American friends who set out to Guatemala in their attempt to survive on dollar a day. Its an award winning film about experiencing life in extreme poverty when in reality you have everything.
  5. MAIDEN TRIP – How can I not possibly mention this one? For all you guys who want to change their One Day dream to Day One reality, this is the movie to watch. It shows the struggle of a Dutch girl who wanted to circumnavigate the world at the age of 14. Though the Dutch authorities went against her in departing without her parents she still manages to set out on a two year voyage to sail around the world and becomes the youngest to do so.

Which one is your favourite travel movie? I would love to watch your recommendations too.

17 Comments Add yours

1. I think this is a wonderful idea, very well written, great job, can’t wait to read more from you!

2. Alice says:

Very interesting! I agree, sometimes watching a movie can inspire you to travel somewhere. I’ll check these out! Thanks

3. Stephanie says:

Your story sounds like mine! I used to travel when I was kid too and got addicted ever since! I have never watched these movies, but I totally should! Mine is cliche but I really loved Eat, Pray, Love!

4. This is exactly what i was looking for as I am a big movie buff.. Would need to watch all of these.. Thnx a Ton

5. Lance says:

Your story sounds like the story of my son and daughter, both have been traveling since they were a few weeks old. Thank you for a great list. We have not seen these, but we’re very interested in watching “Imba Means Sing” and “Living on One Dollar.” Thank you.

Liked by 1 person

6. Tria Narte says:

I have actually never seen any of these films and I feel like I am losing out on some good stuff here. I will definitely make it a point to see at least 1! Thank you for the good tip!

Liked by 1 person

7. dwyeraddie says:

Ugh I wish I had time to sit and watch a movie. These all sound so amazing. I’m going to have to pin this so that I can try to download one before my next trip.

Liked by 1 person

8. That is a great list! Haven’t watched a single one from the list. The first one has made me curious! We are (hopefully) going to Saudi in May (tickets bought, need visa)! So sounds like would be an interesting watch before the trip!

9. Wohh the list is a new task for me now. Unfortunately, haven’t seen any of these. This came my way while searching for some must watch movies. Thanks for creating this. Gonna watch them all one after another.

Liked by 1 person

10. Followingtherivera says:

Mine is definitely Walter Mitty! It’s so inspiring, and heart warming at the same time. Will like to watch a few of these myself!

Liked by 1 person

11. Teja says:

I do not normally get interested in people’s lists of travel movies, … It’s usually some extreme wilderness survival or self-absorbed ‘find yourself’ or coming of age ‘awakening’ kind of story, and so not really about travel and seeing others in the world at all! Whaddya know, a young girl can come up with a list of travel-inspiring movies that actually appeals to me! It’s a very diverse list, and is actually genuinely about understanding the world!

Liked by 1 person

12. myfabfiftieslife says:

What an excellent idea for a blog! I have not seen any of these movies but now I must see them all. Thanks for the inspiration and idea.

13. You were so lucky you could travel when you was a child. Some people may think it’s useless as a child doesn’t understand the world but I am sure it makes them curious, develops empathy and emotional intelligence! When I was little my parents had neither means no possibility to travel as we were living in a communist country so I’m a bit jealous lol In regard to the movies I’ve only seen no.1 (and I loved it). I’ve heard that “the secret life of Walter Mitty” was good so check it out!

Liked by 1 person

14. louisebke says:

Awesome list! Planned on doing a movie night Soon, so this was just perfect! 🙌

15. Denny George says:

You are a true world cinema connoisseur! The list sounds great, and I must confess that I haven’t seen any of them so far. I’m putting them straight on my priority list. One of my favorite travel movies was ‘The Bucket List”, starring Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman.

16. Jem says:

I’ve not heard of any of these movies but have put them on my ‘to watch’ list to check out when I have a sofa day planned! Thanks for the inspiration 🙂 I love an excuse to snuggle under a blanket and do nothing

17. Su Bha Sun says:

It is an interesting story about travel movies. Your watched collection is good. Truly, sometimes we need a story to inspire us. Movies have a great impact on me too. If you ask about my recommendation then I would surely say.. ‘The time travellers’. 🙂